Your furnace is one of the most crucial parts of your home’s overall operating systems. If it’s not well maintained, it won’t operate as efficiently as possible. Even dust and dirt buildup can quickly damage internal components, damage the motor, or corrode electrical connections. And that means both performance and efficiency will be impacted.
It is recommended that your furnace has an annual maintenance checkup by a qualified HVAC technician at the start of each heating season. This will ensure that your furnace is in top shape to provide you with conditioned air all winter long.
During a checkup, an HVAC professional will:
- Replace the air filter
- Examine all grills and registers for dirt and dust
- Clean the burner and pilot light and check for damage or clogs
- Clean out the drain
- Examine the vent piping
- Ensure the thermostat is working properly
- Look at the heat exchanger for cracks, leaks or corrosion
- Clean the blower if excessive buildup is present
- Ensure the ignition system is working properly
- Ensure proper gas pressure within the system
- Perform a combustion analysis test and ensure proper working order
Furnace manufacturers recommend an annual checkup each year to ensure proper working conditions for the equipment. Especially with gas forced air furnaces, cracks, leaks or malfunctioning equipment can be hazardous to your health.
If you haven’t had your furnace equipment evaluated in a while, now is the time. It can save you money in the long run by repairing items before they escalate, and allow your equipment to be better maintained throughout the life of the equipment. Schedule your appointment today.