Planning a basement remodel this summer? Here are 7 green plumbing ideas to use in your basement remodel.
1. Create a full bath with extras. While an unfinished basement usually comes with roughed-in plumbing, now is the time to move things and make it more efficient for the way you live. Would you prefer a large tub? A walk in shower? A sauna? Just because you’re trying to be more energy efficient and green in your design, doesn’t mean you have to avoid some of the simple pleasures. A green plumber will be able to give you many ideas to stay within your budget, and offer you the best alternatives available.
2. Think water conservation. All of your fixtures, from faucets to showerheads and toilets can offer complete water efficiency. Instead of shopping the big box stores, ask your green plumber for options and ideas. In many cases he’ll have resources you can’t reach as a consumer.
3. Relocate plumbing to a more efficient area. When a house is built, the basement is often left unfinished. So its of little concern where ducts and pipes are placed. But when you are trying to maximize the space you have, it may be easier to relocate existing pipe to walls or beam areas, places where you can supply more insulation and be more protected from freezes and/or problems.
4. Design a laundry room for efficiency. Many laundry rooms are located in the basement here in Colorado. But that doesn’t mean you have to skimp on size or options. Choose the highest quality, most energy efficient models of washers and dryers. Have a sink installed near your washer to avoid running to the bathroom or an upstairs location for your water needs. And install clothes lines – there are many options to help you avoid using your dryer.
5. Waterproof your basement before you invest in a remodel. Basements are traditionally damp and cool – a perfect combination for potential problems. Before you experience problems, plan for them up front. Install a sump pump to protect against future flooding. Check all plumbing within the basement – repair pipes with leaks and replace as appropriate. Install gutters to move water away from the house, and use window wells to avoid future water problems.
6. Talk about insulation. Because the basement is cool and damp, its important to create the protection now before a problem arises. Talk with both your plumber and contractor about the best options for your pipes and plumbing locations.
7. Never close off access to your water source. Where is your water main located? Create a way to leave that easily accessible. Whether in a closet or laundry room, its important to leave it easy to find and easy to access.
Looking to remodel your basement in Aurora or anywhere in the Denver area? Call Quality First Plumbing & Heating today at (720) 548-2770 or contact us online to request an estimate for any needed plumbing work.
Fast: Get service on your schedule! In most instances, we can even offer same-day service calls.
Honest: We never recommend anything outside the scope of your needs - scout’s honor.
Financing: Say goodbye to that boxed in feeling. We offer flexible financing options (subject to credit approval).
Dependable: We arrive when we say we will. We’ll apply an instant credit to your service if we’re late.
Professional: We don’t prey on our customers - we offer solutions rather than corny sales pitches.
No Hidden Fees: We keep everything transparent and we never charge extra for weekend calls.
All of our work is guaranteed. In fact, drains are guaranteed to remain free of stoppages for 30-90 days and all plumbing/HVAC labor is guaranteed for one year. Water and sewer lines have a 10-year transferrable warranty - at no additional charge to you!